June 2017 marks the 50th Anniversary of the brutal Israeli military Occupation of the West Bank and Gaza. An occupation that seems shockingly stable.
We must redouble our efforts so the Occupation doesn’t grind on for another 50 years.
Read Bishop Browning’s Opinion Piece in the Courier Mail – there can be no peace without Justice. Or below for his video message
Despite UN General Assembly resolution 242 calling on Israel to withdraw, they refuse to comply. Despite rulings from the International Court of Justice in 2004, the wall is still being built. Despite UN Security Council resolution 2334, Israel continues to expand illegal settlements. Throughout the West Bank checkpoints are being upgraded and Israeli-only roads are being built. The blockade of Gaza has been dubbed the largest open air prison in the world, threatening lives daily.
In the process of enforcing its brutal military occupation, in 50 years Israel has
- Killed thousands of Palestinians
- Demolished over 48,000 homes and other buildings
- Confiscated over 586,000 acres of Palestinian land
- Created 300,000 Palestinian refugees
- In direct violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention, settled over 600,000 Jewish settlers in the West Bank
- Imprisoned an estimated 40% of Palestinian men in military prisons, including thousands held without charge.
- Prosecuted Palestinians in military courts which have a 99.74% conviction rate.