Reports in early August indicate Israel has proposed Danny Danon as the next Ambassador to Australia.
Danon has shown complete disregard for both Palestinian rights and international law and should be rejected as Ambassador.
How objectionable is Danny Danon? Some of the things he has said include:
- We are a nationalist government and not a government that will establish a Palestinian government in 1967 lines” (The Independent)
- “The international community can say whatever they want, and we can do whatever we want” (Times of Israel).
- “We need to come out of the closet and say that we are proud to be anti-Palestinian state” (Mondoweiss).
- “There is place only for one state on the land of Israel …. I do not believe in a two-state solution” (Al Jazeera).
- “Look at the government: there was never a government discussion, resolution or vote about the two-state solution. If you will bring it to a vote in the government – nobody will bring it to a vote, it is not smart to do it – but if you bring it to a vote, you will see the majority of Likud ministers, along with the Jewish Home Party, will be against it.” (Middle East Monitor).
- From Times of Israel: Danon hopes to “gain sovereignty over the majority of the land” in the West Bank, “with the minimum number of Palestinians,” he said.
- “I am preparing a bill to annex the West Bank and repeal the Oslo Accords in order to convince the EU to stop a UN vote on Palestinian Statehood. I am also going to suggest to extend our sovereignty over the Jordan Valley and over the highly populated blocs we have in Judea and Samaria, just to start with.” (Mondoweiss)
- “Enough with the two-state-solution. Land-for-peace is over. We don’t want a Palestinian State. We need to apply Israeli sovereignty over all Jewish communities in Judea and Samaria [the occupied West Bank].” (Al Jazeera).