There is nothing like seeing for yourself daily life for Palestinians.
APAN has not currently scheduled any of our own tours – but there are plenty of opportunities – below are some we can recommend.
Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions (ICAHD):
- ICAHD Extended Study Tour 18-28 March 2019, or 4-14 November 2019
- Also Day Tours to Jerusalem Old City, East Jerusalem, Greater Jerusalem and the Jordan Valley
AMOS Trust (UK):
- Palestine Marathon, 19-24 March 2019
- Road Club Tour of Palestine, 21-29 March 2019 (bicycle tour)
- Amos Trust Home Rebuild, 7-18 April 2019
- Greenbelt/Oasis Palestine Experience, 13-23 May 2019
- Women of the West Bank, 8-15 June 2019
- A Taste of Palestine, 9-18 October 2019
- Walk the West Bank, 29 October-9 November 2019
Interfaith Peace-Builders (USA) – offers 13-day Palestine tour
Grassroots Jerusalem (Jerusalem) – Jerusalem Political Tour (3 hours)
Sabeel Ecumenical Liberation Theology Centre (Jerusalem) – Witness Visits (2019 programme forthcoming)
Green Olive Tours (Jerusalem) – offers a variety of day tours, multi-day tours, hiking, cycling etc throughout the occupied Palestinian territories and Israel.
Alternative Tours (Jerusalem)– offers a variety of day tours and transport services.
Jonathan Cook (Nazareth) – Jonathan is a British journalist based in Nazareth who offers half-day or day tours of Nazareth and the surrounding areas. Highly recommended.
Alternative Tourism Group (Bethlehem) – offers a variety of bespoke tours (olive picking, day trips, home stays etc); plus two special tours in conjunction with Bethlehem Fair Trade Artisans Network:
- Taste & See: A Fair Trade Alternative Encounter Tour of Palestine, 22-30 March 2019 and 21-29 June 2019
Joint Advocacy Initiative of East Jerusalem YMCA:
- Journey for Justice – Palestine, 27 July-4 August 2019 (youth aged 17-30)
To Be There (Bethlehem) – offers a variety of tour opportunities:
- Tree Planting, 26 January-3 February 2019
- Palestinian Land Day Tour, 23-31 March 2019
- Diaspora Solidarity Volunteer Program, 1-10 July 2019 (in conjunction with Dalia Association)
- Olive Harvest in Palestine, 19-27 October 2019
- Day trips – Sunday Bethlehem political tours, bespoke private day trips
Breaking The Silence (Israel) – day tours led by ex-Israeli soldiers offer a unique perspective on the Israeli occupation of the Palestinian territories. There are 2-3 tours per month offered in English and they book out fast, so be sure to book early.
Machsom Watch (“Checkpoint” Watch, Israel) – an Israeli women’s organisation who offer day trips to the West Bank – see here for upcoming trips >
APAN Study tours:
“I’ve done a bit of travelling to different areas of the world in my life but nothing has been as rewarding as the APAN study tour. I couldn’t recommend the tour highly enough… a life-changing experience.” – Peter, participant, Study Tour January 2015.
Visit Palestine, Israel, Lebanon, Jordan
“The spirit of an oppressed people was probably the biggest highlight, particularly in Gaza.” – Claudia, participant, Study Tour January 2015.“And now to Gaza. Such devastation. We visited one town, Khuza’a, which had been a flourishing community… Now most homes are mounds of rubble and the people live in tents or adapted containers.” – Helen, participant, Study Tour January 2015.
“It doesn’t matter how much is read or seen on television, visiting Palestine and seeing the situation with one’s own eyes is without parallel.” – Claudia, participant, Study Tour January 2015.
“I feel better equipped now to speak to people about what life is like for those who don’t share the freedoms that we enjoy.” – Liz, participant, Study Tour January 2014.
“An unforgettable experience.” – Miguel, participant, Study Tour January 2015.
From the refugee camps of Beirut to the ravages of the Gaza Strip, the tour will hear from Palestinian and Israeli communities, Australian Ambassadors, United Nations officials, human rights organisations, visit Australian-funded aid projects and many more. If you want to learn about the myriad contemporary – and historical – issues of the modern Middle East, this Study Tour is for you.
Study Tour Schedule
Day 1-3, Depart Australia to Lebanon, 2 nights Beirut
Day 4-10, Jerusalem, West Bank & Israel, 7 nights Jerusalem
[possible visit to Gaza Strip*]
Day 11-12, Jordan, 2 nights Amman
Day 13-14, Depart Jordan to Australia
* Please note that visiting the Gaza Strip is not guaranteed and is dependent on the issuing of permits; an alternate schedule will be arranged should this leg be cancelled.
Study Tour Cost: A$7,000
Costs include international economy-class airfares ex-nearest Australian capital city, in-country accommodation (4 star bed & breakfast hotels), in-country transport, most meals, visa fees, pre-departure briefing and information booklet. Costs exclude Australian domestic airfares/accommodation/transport to your international flight and travel insurance. There will also be some optional day trips at minimal extra cost, such as to Petra archaeological site, in southern Jordan.
A $200 non-refundable deposit is paid on application; minimum number of participants is 9 people.
For further information or to register your interest, please email:
Lisa Arnold, Study Tour Coordinator, APAN