- The catastrophe inflicted on Gaza – and the costs to Israel’s standing. 15/08/2014 [Mondoweiss]
- The Greenhouse propaganda: how Gazan history is being rewritten to dehumanise Palestinians. 10/08/2014 [Mondoweiss]
- Australian Jews speak out against ‘slaughter of innocents’. 11/08/2014 [New Matilda]
- UN says child death toll in Gaza exceeds 450. 10/08/2014 [DCI Palestine]
- Gaza crisis: a closer look at Israeli strikes on UNRWA schools. 08/08/2014 [The Guardian]
- Gaza Ministry of Health: ‘In the name of humanity, stop the Israeli slaughter of innocents in Gaza’ 04/08/2014 [IMEMC]
- Australia must urge peace:MP. 01/08/2014 [West Australian]
- Blaming Palestinians for their own deaths. 31/07/2014 [972mag]
- MPs from all sides condemn ‘invasion of Gaza’. 28/07/2014 [SMH]
- It’s about time Australia put pressure on Israel. 25/07/2014 [ABC]
- More Gazans now fleeing Israeli attacks than during Cast Lead. 20/07/2014 [Electronic Intifada]
- Massacre in Gaza: At least 60 killed in Shuja’iyeh, over 60,000 in UN shelters. 20/07/2014 [Mondoweiss]
- Gaza, a poem. 20/07/2014 [Mondoweiss]
- John Kerry did not make a gaffe – he spoke the truth, again. 20/07/2014 [972mag]
- Letter from Gaza by a Norwegian Doctor. 20/07/2014 [MEMO]
- Israeli army launches ground invasion of Gaza Strip 17/07/2014 [972mag]
- Exclusive: Hamas puts forward ceasefire terms amid intense mediation. 16/07/2014 [Electronic Intifada]
- Israeli strike kills four Palestinian children playing soccer on Gaza Beach. 16/07/2014 [Mondoweiss]
- The unfolding lie of Operation Protective Edge. 15/07/2014 [972mag]
- What does Israeli ‘acceptance’ of ceasefire really mean? 15/07/2014 [972mag]
- Not in Our Name: The Jewish duty to stand with the people of Gaza. 14/07/2014 [Mondoweiss]
- Australian Jewish Democratic Society (AJDS) Statement on Current War. 14/07/2014
APAN Media Releases, published articles and interviews
- Divide widens between supporters of Hamas and Israel. Dr Peter Slezak, 28/07/2014 [ABC News 24]
- Causes and solutions…writes Peter Slezak. Dr Peter Slezak, 24/07/2014 [J-Wire]
- Two Jews, Two Palestinians: An Open Letter on the Simple Truth. Dr Peter Slezak, 23/07/2014 [New Matilda]
- APAN Media release: Stop the Fighting, Lift the Siege. 22/07/2014
- APAN Media release: Stop the Bombing of Gaza. 14/07/2014
Fact Pages (Regularly Updated)
- Names of Palestinians killed since 8 July 2014 – 1508 names at 20 Aug. [IMEMC]
- Palestinian death toll: Gaza Ministry of Health reports 2047 dead; UNOCHA reports 1999 dead (1434 civilians of which 467 children, 244 women).
- Israeli death toll: UNOCHA reports 67 dead (incl. 64 soldiers, 3 civilians).
- UNOCHA-OPT Gaza Emergency Situation Report (20/08/2014, 0800hrs) [pdf]
- UNOCHA-OPT Gaza Emergency Situation Report (19/08/2014, 0800hrs) [pdf]
- UNOCHA-OPT Gaza Emergency Situation Report (18/08/2014, 0800hrs) [pdf]
- UNOCHA-OPT Gaza Strip: Damaged Structures (12/08/2014) [pdf]
- UNOCHA-OPT Gaza Emergency Humanitarian Snapshot, 5 August 2014 [pdf]
- UNRWA Gaza Situation Report #43 (20/08/2014)
- UNRWA Gaza Situation Report #42 (19/08/2014)
- UNRWA Gaza Situation Report #41 (18/08/2014)
APAN Fundraising Dinner Invitation – Sydney, 29th August 2014
Guest speaker: HE Izzat Abdulhadi,
Head of General Delegation of Palestine to Australia.
RSVP BY 22 AUGUST 2014
Download the invitation here
Join an APAN study tour #apanpalestinetour
Tours available in November and January. Read more
Of course East Jersusalem is occupied!
Join APAN campaign to tell your local MP the facts!
On June 5, the Australian Government announced that it would no longer use the recognised title of “Occupied East Jerusalem”. The statement is so shocking that it has been international news, and even made it into Netanyahu’s cabinet briefing speech this week. The PA have asked Arab countries to reconsider its relationships with Australia, and locally the Council of Arab Ambassadors and the Australian Arab Business Network have sought a meeting with the Foreign Minister to discuss. APAN recommends Internal Law Professor Ben Saul’s clear opinion piece as a background on this issue. APAN was interviewed on this matter by ABC’s Lateline and SBS news. APAN has also written to the Attorney General.
APAN protests diplomatic meeting in East Jerusalem.
The Australian Ambassador to Israel met with the Israeli Housing Minister in his office in East Jerusalem, on 14 May 2014. This was promoted by the Housing Minister’s office and lauded by the Israeli conservative press as a change in Australian policy. (Read Haaretz article. Read Fairfax article). Until now, Australia has strictly avoided any acts that could be seen as recognition of Israeli sovereignty over East Jerusalem – as Israel illegally annexed this land in 1967. Ambassadors and visiting Ministers have avoided any meetings in East Jerusalem.
APAN has written to the Foreign Minister asking her to clarify this meeting.
APAN commentary on peace process
An APAN Op Ed piece published in The Australian in April critiques how the “peace process” has become a euphemism for normalising the violent dispossession of the Palestinian people. Read article.
Confusion on ALP position on settlements – now clarified
The Leader of the opposition made a speech at a Zionist Community of Australia event which appeared to contradict the recent ALP approach to Israeli settlements. APAN demanded clarification. Ms Plibersek, Shadow Foreign Minister has now clarified this position – indicating that “Labor’s position remains the same”. She also added “Clear Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advice to Labor in government was that the settlements are not in line with international law.” Read clarification (in SMH). Read DFAT advice being referred to (link will download document). See story about APAN’s response in The Guardian.
APAN was honoured to be part of an event at Parliament House in March for the launching of the UN International Year of Solidarity with the Palestinian People. The room was full of people wanting to honour this year – including 24 parliamentarians across the political spectrum, members of the diplomatic corps, representatives of the UN, business and community leaders, academics and community representatives. The event was co-hosted by Parliamentary Friends of Palestine and the Parliamentary UN Friendship group. In a passionate speech, Bishop George Browning asked the politicians to “catch up” with the Australian people who have had enough of not only Israeli policy victimising the Palestinians and the in-difference shown by the international community who won’t stand up against the injustices and inflected suffering. Read more and see photos of the event
Why don’t you hold an event in your State to honour the UN International Year of Solidarity with the Palestinian People? APAN would be happy to help
APAN responds to documentary “STONE COLD JUSTICE”
Four Corners and The Australian collaborated on producing this documentary, aired on ABC on 10th February 2014. The documentary revealed horrendous treatment of Palestinian children by the Israeli military. APAN released a statement congratulating the producers. APAN also wrote to Cabinet members calling on them to publicly express their opposition. The documentary can be watched online.
APAN responds to Foreign Minister’s disturbing comments on settlements.
Australia’s Foreign Minister Julie Bishop was interviewed by the Times of Israel, who published an article based on her comments on the 15th January. In the interview she departed radically from previous Australian policy by refusing to concede that the Jewish settlements in the Occupied Palestinian territories were illegal under international law.