We stand against antisemitism
Working for freedom and equality for Palestinians is part of a much broader goal for equality for everyone.
We therefore must stand with Jewish people to stamp out antisemitism, as we stand with all other minorities against the discrimination they face.
It is our responsibility to understand antisemitism, and to call it out, wherever we see it.
We stand against the weaponisation of accusations of antisemitism
In recent years there has been a dramatic escalation of accusations of antisemitism towards people who support Palestine – from small solidarity groups to political leaders.
These accusations are made not to enhance freedom, but to shut down discussion of Palestinian human rights. This does not liberate anyone.
The IHRA definition of antisemitism is not a tool for public policy
It was designed, and discarded, for researchers examining racism. It includes many examples that point to criticism of Israel that are vague and open to interpretation.
The definition has been revived as a political tool – it has been used to stifle discussion of Israel’s treatment of Palestinians. Read our factsheet for more.
- Australian Jewish Democratic Society – FAQ’s on antisemitism
- Australian Jewish Democratic Society newsletter edition on antisemitism
- Antisemitism, by Jews for racial and economic justice
About the IHRA definition of antisemitism:
- Definition itself
- Articles by Kenneth Stern: July 2021: Jewish Forward Biden’s pick for antisemitism envoy will need to answer these tough questions ; December: 2019: The Guardian I drafted the definition of antisemitism. Rightwing Jews are weaponizing it.
- Progressive Jewish groups in USA oppose codification of definition (including J-Street and New Israel Fund)
- Summary article by coordinator of Independent Jewish Voices Canada
- Legal opinion by Geoffrey Robertson AO QC
- 2020 Joint letter by Palestinian academics/intellectuals
- Cambridge University adoption of definition but with the clarifications recommended by the UK Home Affairs Committee four years earlier
- 2018 letter by 40+ Jewish Organisations
Read our: Joint Statement on Antisemitism
Co-written with the Australian Jewish Democratic Society (AJDS)